Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Size Zero

My Barbie had curves.
No,
Not Barbie... Sindy,
I had a Sindy doll. 
But she had curves all the same.
Toned curves.
There's no cellulite
On hard, molded plastic.
How many peanuts can I eat today?
Ten calories each,
So only eight.
Something to keep the metabolism going.
Standing in the corner shop
Staring at the chocolate bar
For twenty fucking minutes!
At school
They snatched them
Out of my hands.
"It's such a shame. 
You could be so beautiful 
If you lost weight!"
I never did.
Size twelve.
I'm an elephant.
A thin person
Wrapped in
Foam.
Can't take it off.
Want to cut it off.
Take my thighs
(thunder thighs they used to call me)
And squeeze
And look
At excess flesh.
Don't need it,
What's it doing there?
Love food.
Hate myself for loving food.
Drink too much.
Too drunk 
To count 
Calories.
Two bottles of wine last night. 
A thousand calories?
Plus a hangover.
I want to kill myself
But can't think how.
Then the chips,
Hot fatty chips,
With vinegar and ketchup.
Gave up eggs,
And milk,
And meat,
And wheat,
But chips! 
Can't leave chips
Alone!
Leave me alone,
You beautiful figures
On magazine pages
And American sitcoms,
Taunting me
With your ability
To wear
Little short dresses,
Spaghetti straps,
No bra.
Delicious naked,
Lithe and smooth,
Not dumpy
Lumpy.
Look at my legs!
Who would want them?
Hide them quick.
They're hideous.
Sex is good.
But getting out of bed
Naked
Is 
Courage.
Exercise!
Exercise should shift it.
But try running
With excess fat.
I can do two minutes,
One with PMS.
Four girls in the gym
Fatter than me.
Feel better,
Until yoga,
Where they're all
Thinner.

(London, March 2007)

No comments: