Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Boarding School

When they left me
My nine year old heart
Burnt a hole in my chest
And part
Of my stomach
Twisted over.
How can they say they know what is best
When the pain in my eyes
Stings like nettle rash
And the invisible rope
That tightens around my throat
Makes every breath
Feel as though it could be
My last?
Unfamiliar hands
Push me towards a bed
With a dirty pink cover that smells
Of stale tea
And overcooked cabbage.
Six new faces watch
As I put on new pajamas
That are scratchy and too tight.
I cannot speak tonight
For fear I might
Cry.
I once begged to be here,
Blinded by Enid Blyton fantasies of
Midnight feasts and pillow fights.
But now, alone in the dark,
The dream is dashed
As cold fear
Creeps up my legs.
Five a.m.
Awake and wet,
Climbing out of bed,
Finding cold stone steps
And no mother.
Knocking on the locked door,
Coughing as a cloud of smoke
Curls up my nose and the woman
With the yellow fingers and long grey hair
Rubs me roughly with a stripy towel.
She rattles my bed
As she strips the soaked sheets
And my shame
Is visible 
To a dozen eyes
At dawn.

(London, April 2007)

No comments: