Of the child
Inside
Do I hesitate
To embrace
You
With the full force
Of what I feel.
I would
Lie, limp,
In your arms,
And allow
Your power
To engulf me
And penetrate me
Until I was full of you,
Were it not for
The bruised heart
Of the fairy-tale princess
Who sits on shattered dreams
That I still
Must tend.
If this could be
Heaven on earth,
If these are
Tears of joy
That clean my cheeks,
Then I am powerless
To prevent
A piece
Of my history
From taking shape.
If, once again,
I have mistaken
Hope for truth,
Lust for love,
Need for want,
Then history has
Only
Repeated itself,
And life is
Kicking me in the gut
With a lesson
I refuse to learn,
And I will slowly
Slip away
Before,
Or
After,
I take
Another hit.
The pure heart
Is incapable
Of exercising
Caution.
That's all I've really learnt.
(Los Angeles, September 2009)
No comments:
Post a Comment